What is REAL love?
- Some people say that it is a fondness for a person, place or thing that makes them happy.
- Others love because of a perceived benefit. Is that all love is???
It is NOT that love doesn’t come with feelings, but to limit to a feeling is a big mistake!
Ephesians 4 & 5…
- Ephesians 5:21, “Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.”
- Ephesians 4:3, “Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.”
- As Christians, we need the same level of commitment to our church family as to our spouses.
We are called to weave a 1 Corinthians 13 kind of love into our relationships with other believers.
Love & Relationship??? There is a distinction between love and relationship.
- We need to move beyond loving everyone at arm’s length to being people IN
- We need to love others AND allow others to love us back!
- The disciples were difficult to love, yet Jesus loved them anyway.
- Matthew 26:36-42
- Relationship means that we are honest and allow others in our struggles…to be in relationship means giving and receiving love and support.
- We know we are supposed to love people with the love of Jesus, because that is what we are commanded to do…but be in relationship too?
- James 5:16; Colossians 3:9-10; Galatians 6:2
1 Peter 4:8-10, “Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace.”
- Imperfect relationships are the norm, not the exception.
- If we love only people when they are easy to love, then our love is pretty shallow.